Friday, December 18, 2009

Digging With a Spoon in a Diamond Vault

.
That is what the field of prevention is often like. One can work hard and long at developing relationships, bringing people together, building trust, and facilitating collaboration, and never really feel like you are getting anywhere, at least not in the short run. One gets no immediate feedback, no immediate gratification in this discipline; and often that can make the work seem futile and thankless.

Oh, don't get me wrong, there are successes; and it feels really, really great when they happen... like finding a diamond. But it's a slow process, and after all, it IS prevention. It's a lot like what God said to Bender in Futurama, "If you do your job, nobody knows you were there."

Well I don't accept the fact that prevention is futile, and I'm here to thank anyone who is trying to do it. Neither do I think it's impossible to do. So here we go! I'd love to have a magic wand or complete enlightenment on the subject, but I'll settle for a bigger spoon. Help me find one.
.

No comments: